Pages

Friday 4 December 2015

A Busy Year!


     It is been almost a year since commencing this journey of embracing the life of a student, yet once again: following in the footsteps of my own children who have embraced the power of learning.   A year in , I am tired  and somewhat drained  but still forging ahead , trying to tackle each challenge even when part of me wants to just stop and take a deep breath. Sometimes  I do,  because it is all I can do. My days are full  from work, to placements, to pursuing my own  art dreams  and just keeping ahead of numerous readings and assignments. My mornings are early and evenings run late. I look forward to Friday night  for my pizza and wine and  down time to watch a movie. My house is a mess, but maybe it always was. I am surrounded by papers and books, paints and craft supplies, I sit at a computer most of my evening, trying to make sense of some reading that challenges every neuron in my brain  to fire, to grasp a concept that at times seems to rival the question of " why are we here on earth?" or at least it feels like that at times.



      My first illustration of starting back to school in  Art Therapy, was the image of Alice having fallen through the rabbit hole. Utter confusion and thoughts of abandoning within weeks of starting, doubting my own abilities to stay afloat. Initially the only reason I stuck with it,  was the embarrassment of quitting, I wanted to show my own children and myself that I was capable of taking on a new challenge, with no regard for age and should I or should I not at this stage in my life?  It has been a busy year but through it,new found strength in my own abilities, new friends  who have supported this undertaking  and family always there with a "you go mom"  which always provides me with that small burst of energy that is required for the midnight deadline. I have still five or so months of classes and assignments then the challenge of a thesis , that will take me well in to year two or three of this program. It will be a frightening endeaver, yet I look forward to the challenge..but not today. I am so tired my brain is cranky and uncooperative and I need some well deserved rest! Of course after my paper is done.

     My own art work has taken a back seat to these other endeavours over this past year although I still manage to get some art work done as it has become necessary for my own well being and survival. Art has not only helped me through rough times but it is also just as necessary as breathing for me. I am thankful to all my artist friends and colleagues who continue to inspire me and remind me indirectly to pick up a paint brush.  Today I will paint windows and enjoy and let go of school work, Temusique and any other force pulling me away from the pure enjoyment of painting. I need this.



So here we are . This has been my year! The good , the bad and  the ugly.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment