Pages

Friday 13 December 2013

Window Painting

It has been a busy few weeks window painting, commissions, jewellery making,  ornaments, and finishing up with the winter art classes.  I would like to show some of the window painting. I love the window Splash at Crevier a local business in Temiscaming. It is a challenge to do , only in that I have to do it on the outside...which I actually prefer now but weather dictates when it can be done.  I have done it two years in a row and it is done for the holidays..which means I am usually painting in November. Weather is risky ...from rain to ice pellets to snow with sub zero temperatures.  So what are the challenges? ...well one major challenge is  paint will freeze  with  sub zero temps...as well as my fingers  :) . I use acrylics which are water based so makes for easy application and ultimately removal  but will freeze  and if rain hits while being applied will cause the paint  to run off or leave small marks where it has loosened the bond of paint to window (thinning the paint).  So November in Temiscaming...I have a window to paint but I need my "window" of opportunity so I wait and watch the weather station... supplies packed and ready to move at a moment's notice.  Finally the day arrives , designs in hand, paints and brushes packed, layered clothing for the elements and cup of coffee.  I start  with the sketch of the design on the windows . Decide to work with only two windows initially ....I  have three to do... but worried about weather changes..better to have two fully done,  than three half done.  Away I go  sketching with a water base marker that can easily be wiped away.  Design on.... now to paint the black outline....going smoothly ...loving it.  Starting to snow..Anxious to get it done...Pressure on myself as the Santa Parade the next day and would like to have had it done but..alas ...blowing snow dinging the window and any paint I put on,  leaving little marks... decide to abort...mission delayed.  So had to leave with two windows drawn  with black outlines and a few sections painted, but no where near completed..... Now we wait ...next day sub zero temps but a nice day decide to try...haven't done this before (paint below zero) so not sure what to expect...think I know what to expect but not definite...as I suspected paint freeing as I apply to window  so no flow and looks messy ...abort again ...after  only two strokes.... I wait....and wait.....and wait.....

                        The temperature goes up days later...I am ready for the mission ...everything else I am  doing put aside, on hold...dishes, laundry, children, (just kidding) ..school day ...8:30 I am at the window with supplies...beautiful day...and I paint....and paint....and paint. Still not done but fingers frozen and need a coffee...weather getting a little cooler as day goes on....finish the two main windows ...not sure if will be able to do the third..feeling bad...but weather dictates.  No going back must finish...time to power paint....quick sketch..outline and away we go with painting the last piece to a beautiful winter scene . With so little time to spare as the snow is coming with temps dropping, I paint the final brush stroke....sign and leave . The next day temps well below zero....I made it and I love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment