Pages

Monday 4 July 2016

Algonquin Park Resident








Algonquin park is a yearly camping event. Often we would meet up with family and settle down at Kearney Lake.  The beauty of Kearney  is that there are no motor boats...not that there is anything wrong with motor boats. But it is wonderful to go out on a canoe or kayak and not hear or feel  the rumbling of a motor on the water or feel the waves generated by the  motor boat as they fly by oblivious to the canoeists trying to photograph the glass like reflections on the still waters. There is nothing like the zen like silence in the early mornings, except for the birds and the water tricking  from your paddle as you glide through the water in search of wildlife.  I really can't wait to go back.

Kearney Lake  carries so many memories of  family, adventure, a baby shower, and a reminder to slow down and  be present.  The "apparent " moose sighting , the three legged bear,  the canoe /rafting encounter with a large moose in the water, the charging of a moose , the  deer swimming, the bird watching and all the hikes.  I believe we have done all the main hikes off the Algonquin corridor.

So much of my enjoyment while on the lake is photographing any wildlife I see. I am not a skilled photographer but I have managed to capture some wonderful memories of the excitement of witnessing wildlife in it's natural setting. 

As a painter , I am not looking for the best shot but many shots  to help portray my subject on canvas. I like detail  and although in certain paintings strive for some level of realism, sometimes it is a mix of realism  in the details, but then sometimes color will win out . 

My most recent painting is  of a Bull frog, the photograph taken by my daughter  and I may have taken a few , not sure. My daughter is an artist as well  and we both are trying to capture  the perfect photo, short of hanging off an embankment.  So as much as i would love to see a bear or lynx  and capture that detailed photo , I am just as excited to see smaller creatures like frogs,  turtles, butterflies and my favourite the dragonfly.   Below are some more recent paintings. The Mandarin Duck is not native to Canada but i was so taken by it's gorgeous colours  when I was  at Disney in Florida that I had to photograph for a painting (Native to Japan). The moose painting was from the collection of moose photos taken over the years and this one just a play with complementary colours.  The Bullfrog was from our last Algonquin trip. Although i cannot remember the hike ...no doubt my daughter will. So here are a few shots of the work in progress. 

This year so far have managed to take photos of moose , bear and a giant snapping turtle , locally.  My daughter managed to get the best photo of a bear that  I will use in a painting  ...if she doesn't. 










Have a Super Day!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment