Pages

Saturday 25 June 2016

New Painting in the Works




I have started with a 16 x 20 canvas. Painted in a muted green background. Then started some background trees. Not  quite happy with placement  but of course flat with no real background or foreground: no dimension to the early stages.  




Outlining more how the trees will be painted  and placement of the Blue jay. I love the sound of the Blue jay , in particular in the fall although always a nice sound when out running in the early morning.  My Mom also had a preference for the Blue jay and that has always made the Blue jay even more dear to me. 



Initially i was going to do a Maple tree based on photo reference from my backyard pics but opted to switch to Birch Trees. I am trying to learn how to paint them  highly textured with details and getting the right lighting. 

I had done a small painting of birch trees that i particularly liked  with respect to coloring and details  so using it to help me with the trees . Of course i just have to look in my backyard and do some field sketches. 

 Regarding the Blue jay:A tip from another  artist was to create a clay sculpture of a bird and then shine a light source to assess shadows. I may try this . Not much of a sculpture artist,  but don't need details, just overall shape. 


The bird image I like because it captures  a characteristic of the Blue jay: Perched on a branch staring down, observing.





This painting was done a year or so ago and recently sold.  The new painting  may be using the same photo reference but will have a new look with the Birch tree background and of course  each painting always unique. 
Take the time to enjoy these summer days, observe, listen  and capture the essence of  of a summer day on canvas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment