Pages

Friday 10 June 2016

Landscape with a Little more Light




 
Acrylic on Canvas 
16 x 20

I have been working with a Palette knife for a few years now.  Starting to get a little more comfortable with application but my  paintings, although full of colour,  light and shadow have been absent.  I am a super fan of Julie Dumbarton's work , which  not only explodes with colour but her application of a strong light source is  fabulous. This was my push to try to capture the play between light and shadow. 

My first attempt started off as trees in a fallen forest , one of my favourite subjects: love the natural landscape when walking through a forest. 




What started as a forest soon took on the look of water reflections  and so I modified my painting. This meant changing the reflected angles of the trees . So I basically redid the bottom two thirds but tried to do so without making too bold a change and losing some of the original light. I don't like to fiddle too much as you lose the spontaneous  fresh look achieved  with the palette application.  As I gain more experience with the palette knife, the fear of losing what was more spontaneously created will lessen...I think anyway. 









Have a Super Weekend! Keep  Learning! Keep Practising!

No comments:

Post a Comment